Question:

From Youngstown, Ohio, USA:

We constantly warn our 11 year old daughter (diagnosed with type 1 diabetes three months ago) to keep things sterile, but she had a lapse in judgement today while on a class trip. She asked another child on the bus to hold her "lancet" and "finger pricker" for her while she got her meter ready. The other child took the cap off the lancet, stuck her finger by accident, and then my daughter used that same lancet. The girl's father has hepatitis B (which my daughter has already been vaccinated for), but I'm wondering what the chances are of anything being transmitted to my child from the lancet. The other child is going in to be tested for a variety of things "just to be safe", but I'll worry until I know that she is okay.

Answer:

It's as well to have the checks done, but the risk is extremely small.

Posted to Other and Blood Tests and Insulin Injections