Question:

From Troy, Alabama, USA:

My five year old daughter is always thirsty, always hungry, uses the restroom all the time, and weighs 91 pounds. She is also a twin and her twins only weighs about 45 pounds. She has been going to see an endocrinologist for about a year now, and each time her hemoglobin A1c goes up, and now it is 5.6%. The doctor said when we return in six months if her level gets to 6.0 or greater he would put her on insulin.

Since going to the doctor her skin looks very pale, she is tired all the time, and she is normally like this. Should I call her doctor? We have only been back for about a week. I need help. what should I do?

Answer:

Your daughter needs to be evaluated not only by the endocrinologist that you're seeing, but also by a pediatrician to make sure that there are no other contributing factors to her thirst, hunger, weight and pallor.