Question:

After I had several low blood sugar, my doctor put me on twice daily Lantus with Humalog (an hour prior to each meal on sliding scale). I'm a very active person and have had several low blood sugars (33 mg/dl [1.8 mmol/L] ) alternating with very high (over 300mg/dl [16.7 mmol/L]) at work. My diet is very well controlled, and I check my blood sugar regularly so I am if the Humalog is inconsistent. Are others having problems with Humalog?

Answer:

One of the things about the Lantus is that it is very long-acting. The longer acting the insulin, the more day-to-day variability there is. Not everyone agrees Lantus has to be given twice a day. Most people use it once a day. In addition, physical activity can cause you to have lows, as well.

DTQ-20030619111205A
Posted to Insulin Analogs and Daily Care