Question:

From Long Beach, California, USA:

My almost five year old son has been urinating as much as every 10 minutes for about two weeks now, he is asking for drinks and food more, and he is also sleeping in later in the morning. He only wakes once or twice at night to urinate. He sometimes complains of tummy aches and feet falling asleep a lot (when sitting in the car). Also, headaches. He craves sugar (but I understand most kids do) and constantly asks for sweet and salty things.

His urine test was okay, and a fingerstick blood sugar was 97 mg/dl [5.4 mmol/L]. They drew more blood (three vials) at same time, not fasting, just more blood to do overall tests, I guess. While we were at the doctor's, my son filled two cups of pee in an hour visit and used the bathroom an additional three times, but had no water during that time.

Answer:

The most important thing to exclude is a urinary tract infection.