Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Questions from July 2003

Do you have a question you want to ask to an experienced team of diabetes Health Professionals? The health care professionals of the Diabetes Team lend their many years of experience to answer your questions. Be sure to read the Diabetes Team Disclaimer and the Message from the Diabetes Team. You can review the credentials of our Diabetes Team members by clicking on their names below or on their initials in each answer.

[ Topical Index | Current Questions | Sep 15 | Aug 15 | Jul 15 | Jun 15 | May 15 | Apr 15 | Mar 15 | More... | Submit Question ]

1. My son, who has had type 1 diabetes for eight years, has had a gray circle above his ankle for about two months. He has seen a pediatrician and a culture for ringworm was negative. The doctor said it could be related to his diabetes and recommends making an appointment with a dermatologist. Do you know what this is? Is it, in fact, related to his diabetes? (31 Jul 2003)

2. I am a 39 year old female with type 2 diabetes, and I just found out that I am pregnant. My general practitioner is ready to terminate the pregnancy, but I am not, so I was referred to a high risk obstetrician next week. What are the chances of my having this baby? What are the risks to me and the baby? (31 Jul 2003)

3. My son is ranked third in the US in fencing, and during the summer, he fences 1.5 to 6 hours per day. On lighter fencing days, he has also been doing Bikram Yoga. We had reduced his Humalog to zero and put meals right before exercise to avoid lows. Can we do the same with NovoLog? (31 Jul 2003)

4. My 16 year old son has always had a high blood protein level, but various checks of kidneys always show no problems. Could this be related to blood sugar problems? (31 Jul 2003)

5. I have type 2 diabetes, and I recently asked my doctor if it would be a good idea for me to try getting allergy shots instead of taking my oral medication because I feel it is not working for me very well anymore. She told me that they wouldn't be a good idea because they would cause my sugar to rise. Is this true? (31 Jul 2003)

6. I recently heard a diabetes specialist speak about the ability to replace Amylin in people with diabetes. When this receives FDA approval, will it be available for children? How will it be administered? (31 Jul 2003)

7. My husband has hypoglycemia/LADA but didn't get it until he was 26 years old. However, he had it when our children conceived. Will our children have it? Does that mean they could get it/have it now? I don't see anything that would lead me to believe they do. (31 Jul 2003)

8. My 29 year old boyfriend was diagnosed with diabetes a month ago and has been advised to take insulin injections, but no one in his family has had it. He is really eating right and his taking injections right, but I am really worried bout the complications that might arise. I have several questions. (30 Jul 2003)

9. My spouse has, who has had type 1 diabetes for 20 years, has had a number of symptoms which his endocrinologist are due to his diabetes causing the onset of secondary complications, but I don't totally agree. Could this not be a sign of something else (like cancer)? (30 Jul 2003)

10. I saw an advertisement on TV, but I didn't pay a lot of attention. It was an insulin injector with a dial on it. You dial up the number of units, put a small needle on it, and push the red button. It seemed very convenient. Do you know about this product? Do you have any information on it? (30 Jul 2003)

11. On the days that my daughter has attended camp, her snack glucose is running over 200 mg/dl [11.1 mmol/L], and I also noticed that she is drinking very little of her water. On a non-camp day, she is in the normal range.Is it possible that these high glucoses are due to dehydration? If she replenished her liquids, would she most likely be in the normal? (30 Jul 2003)

12. I take oral medications along with insulin, I sometimes have low blood sugar at 3:00 am, and I am unable to wake up unless helped or I labour to move slowly to get something sweet to take. How I overcome these erratic incidences of low blood sugar? (30 Jul 2003)

13. I am 38, have type 2 diabetes, I have lost 34 pounds, and my A1c goes down each time I visit the doctor. If I continue losing weight, along with exercising and eating right can I expect to go off medication or have I passed the point of no return? (30 Jul 2003)

14. I have a two year old with type 1 diabetes, and I also have a three month old son who does not. I've read about studies that say the introduction of milk or wheat protein too early can possibly bring on diabetes. When is the best time to introduce these foods? (30 Jul 2003)

15. My daughter was recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, so we check my son's blood sugar just to make sure. Every time we've checked, it's been normal, but this morning, after a big breakfast, he complained of not feeling well so sister took his blood sugar, and it was low. Could his low blood sugar reading after having consumed a lot of sugar at breakfast have any meaning? (30 Jul 2003)

16. My son is on NovoLog and Lantus, and I can't seem lower his morning blood sugar which continues high, no matter how much Lantus is given. The dawn rise is obvious since his blood sugar is always high in the morning. Any suggestions? (30 Jul 2003)

17. I have reactive hypoglycemia, and my readings are in the low-normal range most of the time, but lately, I have been noticing that when I get up in the morning they are much higher. In addition, I have been uncharacteristically thirsty lately. I am confused. How this could be happening? Should I schedule an appointment with a doctor? (29 Jul 2003)

18. I have had type 2 diabetes less than two years, and periodically I am getting temporary numbness in the little finger of my left hand and left leg. Is it due to diabetes? If it is, what is the remedy? (29 Jul 2003)

19. I am 20 years old, have had well controlled diabetes for over 18 years, and recently I have been getting sick most of the time when I eat. My endocrinologist tested for celiac disease, but the results were negative. An allergist tested me for wheat allergy, and that result is in the very low positive level. Could wheat be the culprit? Should I be looking into other possible causes? (29 Jul 2003)

20. Some years ago, my friend and his daughter were kidnapped for several hours, then released, and shortly thereafter, his daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. There is no family history of this disease.Could this event be the cause of her diabetes? (29 Jul 2003)

21. I have had diabetes for twenty years, I have been breaking out in hives for the past six months. Have you heard of other people with diabetes getting hives? Do you know of any treatments that I have not already tried? I am also curious if you know of anyone studying people with diabetes who have hives? (29 Jul 2003)

22. What us the difference between urine ketone and blood ketone monitoring? What products are available to monitor blood ketones? I can't find any in my local stores. (29 Jul 2003)

23. My two and a half year old daughter is constantly getting bladder infections and such so her doctor said she should have a diabetes test. I did this, and the result was 4.7. Is this normal in a child of two and a half years? Why did they suggest a diabetes test? (28 Jul 2003)

24. I have had type 1 diabetes for 14 years, and I have recently begun to experience pain and severe tightness in my neck and shoulders, with an accompanying severe itch. Even more recently, I have had numbness and tingling down both arms, and even after tests, no one can figure out what is going on. Has anyone dealt with anything similar? Any thoughts on this problem? (28 Jul 2003)

25. A client of mine has been told that her son has "brittle juvenile diabetes". His mother says he was told by a doctor that this means it will be very difficult to control, she should plan on spending considerable time in the emergency room and doctors' offices since his blood sugar levels are likely to fluctuate significantly. Is this true? What is "brittle juvenile diabetes"? (28 Jul 2003)

26. I am 32 weeks pregnant, I have gestational diabetes, and I am now on 2.5 mg of glyburide daily. Initially it worked well, but my fasting blood sugar is still borderline. Any suggestions? Will I be able to breastfeed immediately? (28 Jul 2003)

27. Approximately two weeks after my father started on Lantus in combination with premixed insulin, he changed dramatically. Could the Lantus make such a big change in personality? Could it be a combination of the different insulins? (28 Jul 2003)

28. We are planning to ask my daughter's endocrinologist to switch her from Humalog with NPH to Lantus with NovoLog. We are hoping that this new regimen will give us more flexibility and keep her blood glucose levels more even. Do hemoglobin A1cs tend to improve when people switch from NPH to Lantus? (27 Jul 2003)

29. I was initially diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, but after a year and a half it was clear that oral medication/diet failed to control my blood glucose so my diabetes nurse ordered a test to determine whether I really had type 1. What test would have been used? Is this test normally done when diabetes is diagnosed? (27 Jul 2003)

30. I am 17 years old, I have had diabetes for almost three years, and I have heard good things about insulin pumps, although they are not that common here. I am very active and enjoy lots of water sports as well as mountain biking, running, and hockey. If I get a pump, how does it work for when you exercise? (27 Jul 2003)

31. My fiancee was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes about four months ago. He weighed 355 pounds when diagnosed, and is now about 320 pounds. His diabetes team insists that since his A1c has been good, and the majority of his blood sugars are all in healthy ranges, he is fine on the current dose of Glucophage. Is it okay to have a high blood glucose even if it is only once a week? (27 Jul 2003)

32. I've read a lot about a new therapy option some people say can cure type 1 diabetes all together. The therapy includes shielding the cells that produce insulin off in such a way that the immune system can't attack them. That may be nice, but I really don't think this works in cases such as mine where the immune system attacks the insulin itself (27 Jul 2003)

33. My grandson recently went on an insulin pump, and the school nurse treats him like he is a hospital patient. She claims the pump is more structured, she won't take my daughter-in-law's word for anything, explaining she doesn't understand, and when the doctor does give the orders, the nurse says she doesn't agree with him. (25 Jul 2003)

34. I am over 60 years old, and I want to know what is the cause of dawn phenomenon in a person my age. (25 Jul 2003)

35. I'm not sure my A1c of 5-6% is good enough. The way I see it, patient A's glucose may only vary only a few points throughout the day, and patient B's glucose may vary very widely. Although both would have a mean reading that's similar, wouldn't more damage be done because of the greater fluctuations? (25 Jul 2003)

36. Is hyperglycemia considered diabetes? If so, what type? (25 Jul 2003)

37. We are considering a move to Bangkok, Thailand for two to four years, but we are concerned about our daughter's health since she has type 1 diabetes, but we would only consider moving if it did not jeopardize our daughter's health. What would your recommendations be regarding health care for our daughter in Thailand at this time ? (25 Jul 2003)

38. The doctor diagnosed my son with insulin resistance and dysmetabolic syndrome. He has prescribed a low-carb, high protein diet along with a half-hour of daily exercise as a first level of treatment. If that doesn't appear to be working, he'll move on to possibly treating with medication (Glucophage). I have several questions. (25 Jul 2003)

39. My 15 year old daughter, who has type 1 diabetes and anemia, has been diagnosed with eosinophilic fasciitis. Her free T-4 level was I read that children can have normal TSH and still be hypothyroid or what they termed at central hypothyroidism. Could you please explain this to me? Would corticosteroids or methotrexate be better to treat her eosinophilic fasciitis? (25 Jul 2003)

40. We just found that my 12 year old sister has diabetes, and the doctor said she has to take shots of insulin throughoutt her lifetime. What is the chance she can be 100% cured so she doesn't have to take insulin for her lifetime? (25 Jul 2003)

41. I have had type 1 diabetes for 20 years, and this morning my urine was foamy when I awoke. Since I have read this can be a symptom of protein in the urine, I am very worried. I don't know if it matters, but I have my period. Could that be the reason? (25 Jul 2003)

42. What is the relationship between type 1 diabetes and growth retardation or delayed maturity? How can I diagnose this? (25 Jul 2003)

43. I believe my 14 year old daughter is now over her "honeymoon" phase. Recently when she takes her fast acting insulin, and then checks two hours later, it is as if she hasn't even taken any insulin, even though we increased her Lantus and NovoLog in the last couple of days. Do you think she is becoming insulin resistant or are we just experiencing the end of the honeymoon? (24 Jul 2003)

44. My daughter has a severe allergy (rashes) to sugar in all forms (fructose, sucrose and table sugar), and since diabetes does run in my family, and I'm wondering if there is a connection between their allergic reactions and diabetes. (24 Jul 2003)

45. In my opinion, my grandmother eats way too many sweets. The food I cook for her is not high in sugar, and she gets plenty of it, so I'm totally at a loss as to why she cannot gain weight. Could all these sweets possibly be the reason for her lack of weight gain? (24 Jul 2003)

46. My 26 month old son was overeating along with drinking more than 64 ounces of fluid per day and sweating for no apparent reason. A blood sugar after eating was normal, and the doctor said this shows he does not have diabetes. What do you think is going on? Could the readings have been raised due to what he ate? (24 Jul 2003)

47. My two year old developmentally delayed son does not sleep through the night, and he constantly has bouts of diarrhea with stools always green like grass. He is always drinking, and it has to be sweet. Should I be more adamant with having my son tested for diabetes, even though his doctor is not concerned? (24 Jul 2003)

48. I am a teenager with Turner's syndrome along with Down's syndrome, and I have a family history of diabetes so I know I am at high risk. At the moment I don't feel well; I am bringing up acid with blood in it, I have a sharp headache, and I had sharp pains in my stomach. I feel so badly, I can't face the thought of food at the moment. What's wrong with me? (24 Jul 2003)

49. We very recently moved to Phoenix from Michigan, and since the move, my eight year old daughter's numbers have been terrible. She is on Lantus with Humalog, and used to use an insulin to carb ratio of 1:15, and it is 1:10 which seems like quite a large increase. in insulin. Could this just be an adjustment in climates for her? (24 Jul 2003)

50. I am a 28 year old female who has type 1 diabetes, and while I have maintained good glucose control I have also steadily gained 20 pounds. I realize that good blood sugar control is the most important thing, but it is extremely frustrating to not be able to lost weight despite my best efforts. There has to be something I can do to shed just five to ten pounds. Any suggestions? (24 Jul 2003)

51. If I don't eat every few hours, I feel breathless, get a shaky feeling inside and I feel I need something sweet to eat or drink or I'll pass out. After a meal, I crave something sweet, and then a couple of hours later I don't feel right and have to get something to eat to feel better. I don't drink or urinate more than usual. Should I go to the doctor? (24 Jul 2003)

52. My son has recently gained quite a bit of weight, and information I have found concerning diabetes shows people usually lose weight before diagnosis. However, he does have frequent thirst and urination, and diabetes runs in my husband's family. What are the other signs of diabetes? Is there something else that correlates to this? (24 Jul 2003)

53. I am concerned that our daughter may be rebounding between 9:00 pm and 11:45 pm. How long does it take someone to go from an extreme low to a rebound? If one does rebound, is it more difficult to get the sugar level down the next day? (23 Jul 2003)

54. My son, who has been using Actrapid with Protaphane for 10 years, and he is fairly well controlled, although not keen on testing. His doctor has suggested several times that there is a better type of insulin but he will not make the change, and I feel he is avoiding it since the new insulin may require frequent testing. Is it okay to stay on Protaphane with Actrapid? (23 Jul 2003)

55. What is the best site for giving insulin injections? (23 Jul 2003)

56. I am really scared because I have nearly every symptom of type 1 diabetes. I really don't know what to do. I haven't said anything to my parents because they say I'm just being silly and think it's just because I don't eat very well. Would you suggest I go to a doctor? (23 Jul 2003)

57. Is it possible that there is some connection between infantile jaundice and type 1 diabetes? (23 Jul 2003)

58. I've been noticing lately that my five year old son, who has ADHD and takes Risperdal, wants to drink constantly. A friend who has diabetes tested his sugar level, and it was 193 mg/dl [10.7 mmol/L] which she said was very high. Could the Risperdal be making it that high? Could this be diabetes? (23 Jul 2003)

59. Since my 12 year old daughter began pumping about seven months ago, she has gained a substantial amount of weight, and I read that tighter control can cause weight gain. Is this true? Why? Does insulin make you gain weight? (23 Jul 2003)

60. My 14 month old daughter had two seizures following a day of vomiting. She underwent routine tests for seizures which were negative, and an endocrinologist told us the seizures were probably the result of low blood sugar. This left me terrified for fear that it will happen again if she ever contracts another virus. Should she be tested for type 1 diabetes? (23 Jul 2003)

61. I had gestational diabetes and was told I would probably develop type 2 diabetes. Worried to death, I monitored my blood sugar and noted they were above normal so I followed a diet, did 30 minutes of exercise daily, and I brought them down to normal I would love to have another child, but I am worried about the strain this would have on my body. (23 Jul 2003)

62. My 14 year old son, who is on twice daily premixed insulin, is going on a four day canoe trip in a couple of weeks. I am thinking he will probably be going low a lot of the time from the exercise so I was wondering if we should be lowering his doses of insulin. If we lower the dose, would we leave the carbs the same? (23 Jul 2003)

63. My 13 year old, who was in the DPT-1 clinical trial from age 7-12, was ICA positive at the beginning, but she did not have any other positive antibodies. Since she is no longer in the study, I feel very anxious about not knowing her health status. Her pediatrician doesn't seem concerned, and I feel the doctor should be watching her more closely, but I have no idea what tests should be done. (22 Jul 2003)

64. I recently read an article by Dr. Moskowitz, Chief Medical Officer of Genomed. According to him, he can eliminate a lot of the complications associated with type 2 diabetes. I have seen very little information regarding this, and I am wondering if this approach is accepted by the medical community. (22 Jul 2003)

65. I was doing some research about the affects of BSA at early ages and learned from my parents that I drank formulas for my first year, then was switched to cow's milk, and was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes after chicken pox at the age of two. Do you think these two together could be the reason I got it? Are there any recent studies about the affects of BSA? (22 Jul 2003)

66. I am 26 years old, I just had my second child, I have had type 1 diabetes for 14 years. I am taking Humalog for meals with Lantus at dinner, and I have gained a considerable amount of weight which is not coming off. I walk two miles or more at least six days a week. Would it be safe for me to go on the Atkins' Diet? (22 Jul 2003)

67. How do insulin and the body react with other drugs? (22 Jul 2003)

68. My 23 year old boyfriend, who has type 1 diabetes, has over $50, 000 in medical bills, which we have no way of paying, and I pay for his insulin. e does not have a personal doctor, because we cannot afford the physician visits, and no one seems interested in helping us. Are there any programs available to pay for his medical bills, physician visits, and/or prescriptions? (22 Jul 2003)

69. I would like to know the least painful technique to injecting insulin on a seven year old thin boy just recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. He receives his insulin times per times a day after every meal. We are currently using ultra-thin II 30 unit syringes and we are trying to rotate the sites. A description of a proven technique would gladly be appreciated. (22 Jul 2003)

70. My friend needs to know how to adjust insulin injection when traveling to America. (22 Jul 2003)

71. I have type 2 diabetes. Can I eat regular vanilla ice cream? (22 Jul 2003)

72. My four year old is still in the honeymoon phase, and I am just curious about why at a 4 am blood glucose test she is often around 96 mg/dl [5.3 mmol/L], and then at 7 am, she goes up to 120 mg/dl [6.7 mmol/L] or so. Does this mean that her liver is kicking out glucagon? Does this mean that her pancreas is sometimes adjusting the insulin? (22 Jul 2003)

73. The Food Guide Pyramid seems to be in question lately with all the low-glycemic, low carb diets around. Information about excess protein in the diet suggests it can cause kidney disease in someone with diabetes which normal function is also in question. Is the Food Guide Pyramid for someone with diabetes going to change? (21 Jul 2003)

74. Since diagnosis, my student has only been over the 250 mg/dl [13.9 mmol/L] blood sugar required for insulin coverage, and this was only on weekends. On school days, he has occasionally come in to the clinic complaining of feeling woozy and has had low blood glucose. Does he really have diabetes? Why is he hypoglycemic with no insulin administration? (21 Jul 2003)

75. My husband, who was just prescribed Glucophage for his type 2 diabetes, is unable to swallow pills and must chew them first. We've tried numerous tricks to help him learn to swallow to no avail. Will he do any damage to himself by chewing the Glucophage? (21 Jul 2003)

76. My almost 13 year old daughter is on an insulin pump, and I can hardly keep up with her increasing basal rates. For several hours during the day, her basal rate is up to 2.9 units/hour, and it seems that her basal rates have been steadily increasing since she started the pump six months ago. Can puberty increase insulin requirements to this extent? (21 Jul 2003)

77. I have had type 1 diabetes for 30 years, I take two to three shots per day, and I am on a sliding scale. I have seen a physician within the past year, but not an endocrinologist, and I am considering an insulin pump. Would switching to an insulin pump make my diabetes more manageable? Would it add years to my life? (21 Jul 2003)

78. My fasting levels have fallen to 104-106 mg/dl [5.8-5.9 mmol/L] with two-hour after meal levels all under 120 mg/dl [6.7 mmol/L], and I am already following a diet and exercising. Is there anything else I can do about the fasting numbers? When are pregnant women placed on insulin? (21 Jul 2003)

79. I wake up around 5:00 am with high sugar levels. I am on a pump now, but in my NPH days, I did experience the dawn syndrome. I don't think my sudden out of nowhere spike in glucose level is the result of my traveling or of a rebound. I am desperately trying to get off the pump and am afraid that with this new sudden problem, I won't be able to. Do you have any idea what it might be? (21 Jul 2003)

80. My husband has hypoglycemia which he controls by diet only, and he cannot do any form of exercise because he will look like death. I'm wondering if he has LADA. If so, what can be done? How can he be officially diagnosed? Is there medication he should be on? (21 Jul 2003)

81. I have type 2 diabetes, and a couple of hours after I had two packets of Splenda in my coffee, my blood sugar was up 50 points on my meter. I'm curious as to whether the Splenda caused that. Has Splenda been approved by the American Diabetes Association? (21 Jul 2003)

82. I have been told that my 11 year old son is going to have diabetes. He is overweight, has a fatty liver, and he also has dark skin. He sweats a lot even when he is sleeping with no blankets on and is very clammy a lot too. We do have a family history of diabetes, and I am very concerned about my son. Can any of these symptoms mean diabetes for him? (20 Jul 2003)

83. I am 33 years old, have had type 2 diabetes for about four years, and I have been under control for some time. To my surprise I found out that I am 10 weeks pregnant, and I am afraid because for the for weeks since I didn't know I was pregnant, I took dieter's tea, phentermine and supplements. I also had fallen and had x-rays taken. Should I continue with pregnancy? (20 Jul 2003)

84. I am 41 years old, I have no family history of type 2 diabetes, I am not overweight, and I have a child with type 1 diabetes. I was recently diagnosed with hypothyroidism and noticed that my blood sugars were running high. My ICA are positive, the titer is 10 and my C-peptide level is 4. Do I have type 1 diabetes? (20 Jul 2003)

85. I have done testing during the night, and most recently, before bed my blood sugar is is normal, at 3 am, it's slightly higher, and then when I get up in the morning, it's high! I was just reading some information on Lantus, but I've never heard of it. Is it possible that this would work? (20 Jul 2003)

86. I tested negative for celiac disease when I was diagnosed, but I just found out that my half brother has recently been diagnosed with celiac disease. Might there be a genetic connection with my diabetes? Could my symptoms be a precursor of celiac disease in the future? (20 Jul 2003)

87. Our health care team seems to think that if blood glucose is high for less than four hours, there is no physiological harm done. The practical application of this idea would be that if my son tests himself frequently and takes a bolus to bring himself down that this will avoid the long term complications of diabetes. I would like to better understand the physiology of this theory. (20 Jul 2003)

88. I am 29 weeks pregnant with my fifth child, I had gestational diabetes during my last pregnancy, and while I feel fairly comfortable in the pre-natal care I am receiving, I am not totally confident in my diabetes management. I have several questions. (20 Jul 2003)

89. My 12 year old daughter has always struggled with her weight as well as metabolizing her foods, and as a result of a high blood sugar reading, our new endocrinologist has put her on Glucophage. I am thinking that Glucophage XR might be better for her but can not find evidence that it has been tested in children. (18 Jul 2003)

90. My 13 year old cousin, who has type 1 diabetes, has been having pain and swelling in her feet and hands as well as pain in her legs, and when she goes to the toilet, there is blood in the feces. What can we do about it? (18 Jul 2003)

91. We found out my son has a bicuspid aorta and cardiac hypertrophy. What now? He loves sports, and his regular pediatrician said no anaerobic exercise. Is there any way around this? I struggle a lot just to have him test and bolus, so I haven't told him about the anaerobic exercise yet. (18 Jul 2003)

92. I am about 80 pounds overweight, and I get excruciating stomach pain (right under my chest). I start sweating, and I feel as though I am going to pass out. To make the symptoms go away, I pop a piece of candy in my mouth, and it goes away in a couple of minutes. Do you think I am having symptoms of diabetes? (18 Jul 2003)

93. I have many puffy areas in my abdomen from injecting insulin there, and I have become more diligent about rotating my injection sites. Is there anything else I can do to eliminate these puffy areas? (18 Jul 2003)

94. I am 31 weeks pregnant, have recently been diagnosed with gestational diabetes, and I also have ulcerative colitis which is treated with prednisone. For the last week, I have been trying to control the diabetes with diet with fairly good success, except that I have one blood sugar each day that is above 120 mg/dl [6.7 mmol/L] two hours after a meal, and I have become very tired. (18 Jul 2003)

95. We recently spent some time with my 10 year old nephew who has diabetes and recently received an insulin pump. His parents say he can eat what ever he wants and appear to place no limits which would be expected for a healthy diet for a child who does not have diabetes. Is this attitude of nonstop sugar followed by frequent insulin bolusing healthy for him? (18 Jul 2003)

96. I've been doing some research about insulin pump therapy. How I choose the right insulin pump for my four year old son? (18 Jul 2003)

97. I am 36 years old, 14 weeks pregnant, I and have a very strong family history of diabetes. I have questions about the testing done for diabetes. (18 Jul 2003)

98. My son had a "hi" on his meter, and about an hour after insulin and going to bed, he got up and complained of a stomachache, headache and being thirsty. He was also confused and had trouble expressing his thoughts. Can short term very high blood sugars cause confusion? (17 Jul 2003)

99. My seven year old daughter has had some elevated glucose readings after meals, and her pediatrician said that she needed to be checked only if her fasting readings were high, but they are okay. If my daughter's fasting glucose levels are normal but her after eating levels are somewhat high, should I be concerned? (17 Jul 2003)

100. A website has abstracts from medical journals about research done with benfotiamine, and it looks promising. Have you heard of benfotiamine? What do you think of people with diabetes taking this substance? (17 Jul 2003)

101. While doing some research on Neem for a skin disorder, I have seen many different statements that Neem is good for reducing insulin requirements for people with diabetes. Do you have any type of information pertaining to Neem's effectiveness in diabetes? (17 Jul 2003)

102. Our daughter has CAH along with type 1 diabetes, and compared to diabetes, treating CAH is far less complex. Are you familiar with patients who are affected by both diabetes and CAH? Is there any research data/material retrievable that shows whether one disease affects the other negatively or whether the combination of the two can lead to more/other severe conditions? (17 Jul 2003)

103. I have recently been diagnosed with "pre-diabetes" because my doctor is not sure whether I actually have it or not. However, lately I have been feeling radiating heat from my left lower calf, and the leg does not feel hot. It is strange. Is this was because of my diabetes? (17 Jul 2003)

104. I have type 2 diabetes and have been taking insulin for the past month, but it doesn't seem to work even though they increased my dosage. When my blood sugar was normal, I could barely see across the room. I ate some sweets, got my blood sugar back up to a high level, my vision returned to normal, and I felt better. (17 Jul 2003)

105. We are considering an insulin pump for our son. Is there one pump that seems to work the best with kids? With the number of kids out there now on pumps what is the "best"? Are they all about the same? I am looking for an answer form those who live with it daily, not just the info put out by brochures. Any help you can give me would be great. (17 Jul 2003)

106. I have had type 1 diabetes less than six months and want to know if I have a sugar score of 163 mg/dl [9.1 mmol/L], are insulin shots necessary every day? Should I also test my level? (17 Jul 2003)

107. For almost three days my daughter experienced many high and some low blood sugar levels with no explanation, and this morning we discovered her first loose tooth. Could this have caused the unusual blood sugar levels? (17 Jul 2003)

108. As I grow up and need more advice, my sister (who has diabetes) seems to be attracting all the attention from my parents. I have been asking my parents for mental help for a while now, but they seem to be in denial, and I believe that they fear that they don't want a man in a white coat to tell them that their daughter is depressed. I'm feeling lost right now, and don't know what to do. Suggestions? (16 Jul 2003)

109. Since my five year old son starts kindergarten in the fall, I want to start the pump this summer so we can get the basal rate set before school begins. Is this a good idea? Have you had a child this young on the pump? How well does the management work? (16 Jul 2003)

110. From what I have read about Stevia rebaudiana Bertoni, it seems it regulates blood sugar levels by stimulating the beta cells to produce more insulin when there is hyperglycemia. Don't people with type 1 diabetes end up finishing their reserves of insulin earlier? Will stevia still have effect on them when all the beta cells are destroyed? (16 Jul 2003)

111. My mother, is always worrying about bad breath, and I recently was told that people with diabetes often experience this problem. I also heard that there is a mouthwash available for people with diabetes which really helps, but my mom has asked different pharmacies about it, and no one seems to be familiar with it. Could you please advise me of the name and where I can buy it? (16 Jul 2003)

112. My three year old daughter recently had a high fever and lethargy. Her urine dipstick showed no infection, but she had a large amount of glucose and ketones. Her workup was complete, and the results were normal. Where do we go from here? At age three, shouldn't her body be able to compensate for a viral infection and not spill urine glucose? (16 Jul 2003)

113. The endocrinologist said that everything going on in my daughter's body at the moment she became infected with the strep made her immune system attack her islet cells. What if she got strep throat a month or a year later? Would she have gotten diabetes or would it just have been strep throat? (16 Jul 2003)

114. Our 12 year old grandson, who has type 1 diabetes and is on a pump, wants to visit us for two weeks, and I need a daily menu, recipes, and a list of foods he can eat. Where can I find the diet/menu/food program I can use while he is here? (16 Jul 2003)

115. At the beach last year, my son invariably went high when I checked him at bedtime, although his numbers were fine during the day. I always put his pump back on for boluses but did not always to make up missed basals. Was this because the pump was on and off during the day? Could it have been sand in the insertion site? What should I do to prevent it this year? (16 Jul 2003)

116. Within a week's time, the endocrinologist has changed from a diagnosis of insulin resistance to reactive hypoglycemia, and now to pre-diabetes and is suggesting that my daughter may need to do daily insulin injections. He has now requested a first phase insulin test which he feels will tell him whether or not she needs daily insulin. I have several questions. (16 Jul 2003)

117. With the pump I have greatly lowered my "low days", but my high days have become worse in terms of blood sugars and length, and now I have ketones too. Is it possible that I am becoming resistant to the Humalog in my pump? Do people with long term type I diabetes become more insulin resistant over time? Any other ideas as to what could be happening? (16 Jul 2003)

118. Both my son and nephew have type 1 diabetes, and as they get older, I am worried about future health care coverage. Other than COBRA coverage, what health insurance options are available for people with diabetes that do not cost a fortune? Which states offer people with diabetes the most protection under the law? Which offer state-sponsored insurance plans? (15 Jul 2003)

119. I quit smoking marijuana two weeks ago, and I'm going through a lot right now because of family and friends. Marijuana was the only thing that made me happy at times, but now I don't know what to do. I'm feeling depressed, and I want to start again. What should I do? (15 Jul 2003)

120. What is the youngest age at which diabetes can be detected? (15 Jul 2003)

121. I was on Actos and Glucovance and have switched to Glucotrol, and I have a blood sugar reading of 399 mg/dl [22.1 mmol/L] right now, and I am having gastric bypass surgery next week. Could stress about my upcoming surgery cause this jump in my blood sugar? Should I try to talk to the doctor about switching back to the other two medications? (15 Jul 2003)

122. Did I have gestational diabetes? If so, did this lead to developing type 1 diabetes? Did I have gestational diabetes, and then by coincidence got type 1? Did I have type 1 diabetes all along, and the the DKA was delayed because of breastfeeding? My daughter does not show any adverse effects yet. Should I have any concerns about the effect all this had on her? (15 Jul 2003)

123. My child eats three meals per day, and her before meal glucose levels are within normal range, but sometimes her two-hour postprandial blood glucose is high. Is it normal? What is the normal range for postprandial glucose levels? (15 Jul 2003)

124. I have always had a normal A1c (4%) and high glucose levels are never above 190 mg/dl [10.6 mmol/L]. If anything I'm experiencing lows lately. I was overweight before and gained it fast, but now I have lost way past and am still losing gradually. Do I have type 1 or type 2 diabetes or is there something else going on? (15 Jul 2003)

125. I am reading a lot about alpha-lipoic acid as a antioxidant and wondered if it would hurt to give my daughter this supplement. I have read that this can help prevent or reverse some symptoms of neuropathy. She currently has none but has had diabetes for 11 years. (15 Jul 2003)

126. My brother was just diagnosed with LADA and feels that he cannot communicate at all with his doctor who is not a diabetes specialist and has almost no exposure to nor information about LADA. My brother is very wary of the level of care he is receiving and would like to be able to be treated by someone who has considerable knowledge. (15 Jul 2003)

127. My mother-in-law has been told that even though her father is a good match for a kidney transplant, due to her condition, any kidney transplanted would be killed by the diabetes. We understand that she would need a pancreas transplant as well as a kidney transplant. Can you please give us any medical advice to help her condition and improve her long term prospects? (15 Jul 2003)

128. My 20 year old boyfriend has type 1 diabetes, and regularly takes speed and occasionally takes ecstasy. He has been getting very little sleep, and in the past two weeks he has had two attacks where he has become sick from his insulin being too high. Are the drugs responsible for this? (15 Jul 2003)

129. I am 19 and have had type 1 diabetes for four years. I was put on Ritalin when I was in the third grade and didn't quit taking it until I started high school. In the summer after my freshman year, I was diagnosed with diabetes. Is there any connection between taking Ritalin and developing diabetes? (14 Jul 2003)

130. I have been using Humalog for the last three to four years which used to work fine, but suddenly it is not working at all. I called the manufacturer, and they are not worried about it nor is my doctor. What should I do? (14 Jul 2003)

131. My son has symptoms of hypoglycemia, but when I took to the doctor, they find nothing, and I am getting no help from the doctors. I feel that because he has medicaid and he's a child, they aren't giving him enough attention. What do I do to make them see the problem before this happens again? (14 Jul 2003)

132. We believe the ongoing exposure to the microtoxins triggered the onset of my daughter's diabetes. Do you have any data to help support our theory? My blood test results were positive to the exposure, and we are waiting the results of my daughter's. (14 Jul 2003)

133. My two year old son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes six months ago, and while neither my husband nor I have a family history of diabetes, but my husband has had celiac disease since he was a baby. Is there a link between my husband's celiac disease and my son's diagnosis? Is my son at higher risk for developing celiac disease than other people with type 1 diabetes? (14 Jul 2003)

134. My cousin is very disturbed about the course of treatment her grandson is receiving. He's allowed to eat anything he wants and then, based on the carbohydrate calculation, he's medicated accordingly. He goes through many highs and lows and often ends up in the emergency room. Could this be a proper course of treatment? (14 Jul 2003)

135. I have had type 1 diabetes for 12 years, and sometimes when I go low in my sleep, I can't snap out of a spell. I can't function right and not wanting to cooperate. I usually snap out and realize I'm low about 20 minutes later. Is this normal in teenagers with diabetes? (14 Jul 2003)

136. I have type 2 diabetes, and about 10 months ago, I had a ultrasound which showed a swollen right kidney. I could not go back for a repeat ultrasound two months later because I keep experiencing bladder infections and severe pain in the right side of my back just below my ribs, and I've also experienced black urine in the morning. Can you tell me what's wrong? (14 Jul 2003)

137. My daughter has had diabetes for three years, and she is just out of hospital after having a seizure because of too many hypos. Do you make a judgement as to when to change insulin doses after one day of lows or highs or make a change after three days of lows or highs? (14 Jul 2003)

138. I read about INGAP therapy. Where can I contact the researchers involved in it? Are there any current human trials for this therapy? What is your opinion? (14 Jul 2003)

139. Doctors say that bacteria of diabetes entered a 6 month old child's brain, but some doctors says that there are no bacteria of diabetes. Are there any bacteria of diabetes? Can this infect the brain? (13 Jul 2003)

140. According to tests, I am insulin intolerant. Will exercise help this "condition"? (13 Jul 2003)

141. My seven year old son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes a month ago, and I took family medical leave from work to take care of him and educate his school, along with the struggle of getting a full time nurse at his school. I was told today to think about transferring my son to a different school. What else can I do to get a nurse at school? Who else can help? (13 Jul 2003)

142. I have the dawn phenomenon, and recently I've been measuring very early and find that the sugars are actually rising after the NPH has peaked (around 3:00-5:00 am). Even so, my last A1c was 5.9%, and my late afternoon sugars are in the normal range. Would Lantus work better than the NPH? Does it counteract the dawn phenomenon the way the NPH is supposed to? (13 Jul 2003)

143. Not long after his heart attack, my father-in-law started insulin injections. What caused this dramatic change I do not know as he has completely shunned everyone from trying to help him. I feel there is something else driving this irritability, and I don't know if it could be his injections or some side effect of his heart medication. (13 Jul 2003)

144. My son was diagnosed with reactive hypoglycemia, and I have several questions. (13 Jul 2003)

145. My son and his wife are both taking atenolol, and he has had spells shaking and getting sick at his stomach etc. He got sick like that last night while he was here, and when I checked his glucose, it was low. I also checked took his wife's blood sugar, and hers was also low. Could atenolol make my son and his wife have low blood sugar? (13 Jul 2003)

146. I am an 19 male who is a cadet at the United States Coast Guard Academy, I have had type I diabetes less than a year, and currently Coast Guard policy prohibits people with diabetes of any kind from serving in the service. I am deeply committed to fighting the system and am asking for help in building a case to change this policy. (13 Jul 2003)

147. I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes when I was only 20 months old, and a lot has happened since the early 1960s. Since I have lived with type 1 diabetes so long, what can I do to help educate other people and their families who are recently diagnosed? While it is a lot to take in, perhaps my past experiences could help some people cope better with the advancements made in treating diabetes. (13 Jul 2003)

148. My 13 year old son, diagnosed with type I diabetes about three weeks ago, was taking Seroquel prior to diagnosis, and the doctors said there may be a connection between taking this medication and developing diabetes. He had a negative GAD antibody test which the doctors found hopeful. Have you heard of similar cases? If so, did the diabetes in any of those individuals reverse itself? (13 Jul 2003)

149. My son, diagnosed with type 1 diabetes about six months ago, has had three viral infections, and I am concerned that this is a way of life for a child with diabetes. Are children with diabetes they more susceptible to viral infections? (8 Jul 2003)

150. Our daughter became very unstable after the first year. She was diagnosed with general anxiety disorder and was put on medication to help which worked to stabilize her blood sugars for a while. Then she had other problems including celiac disease and was put on a pump, but she is still very hard to keep stable. Any suggestions? (8 Jul 2003)

151. My 13 year old daughter has what is known as cystic fibrosis related diabetes. What should I do when she gets high readings? What is a normal range for a child before and after meals? (8 Jul 2003)

152. My 42 year old wife is 30 weeks pregnant, and yesterday she learned that she has gestational diabetes. The local hospital called to say that we should come in for counseling, and I believe the session is scheduled for next week, but everything I've read suggests that consultation and management should begin within 24-48 hours of the diagnosis, and I'm concerned. (8 Jul 2003)

153. I give my father insulin injections twice a day and his sugar level is in control. However, he is very uncomfortable with injections, and I heard about the insulin inhalers What are the latest developments in the insulin inhalers? Are they now available in the markets? Can my father switch over to insulin inhalers? (8 Jul 2003)

154. My 10 year old son is extremely overweight, so I have been checking his blood sugars with my meter, and they have been consistently high. I told my doctor who tested him, but I took him in fasting, and they didn't test him until 11:00 am which allowed his sugars to be normal. I feel he is borderline and would like a second opinion. How can I go about this? (8 Jul 2003)

155. I have type 2 diabetes, have been on Glucophage for almost six months, and for the past two months, my premeal meter has been normal. Will I stay on Glucophage as long as my sugar-level meter readings remain constant or will I inevitably have to go on insulin? (8 Jul 2003)

156. I work for a non-profit organization that is hosting a youth program this summer, and a big part of that program is progressive health. Do you know where I can find free diabetes information that is geared towards kids/adolescents? (8 Jul 2003)

157. I am a 22 year old female who has been living with diabetes for 17 years. I take Humalog during the day with NPH at night, and I have been on an exercise program. I realize insulin dose varies depending on sugar levels, but I would like a goal range to be sure. What is an appropriate insulin dose range for my age and weight? (8 Jul 2003)

158. I haven't had my period for almost three months. Could this have anything to do with my diabetes? (8 Jul 2003)

159. About three-quarters of the way through an exam, I became aware that not only couldn't I concentrate and was feeling anxious, but I began to sweat. I have not yet gotten the results, but I am concerned. How do I explain the effects of moderate hypoglycemia during an examination to the examiners? (7 Jul 2003)

160. My 11 year old stepdaughter, who has type 1 diabetes, is taking NPH with Humalog in the morning and at dinner, and.while her morning blood sugar levels are fine, lunch and dinner levels are high. Why are her sugar levels skyrocketing before lunch and dinner? (7 Jul 2003)

161. My wife, who has type 2 diabetes, gets cravings for candy about twice a week. I have had many arguments with her about this, but it does no good. She tells me things like, her blood sugar level is normal. What are the short- and long-term medical consequences of this kind of behaviour? (7 Jul 2003)

162. I am an 18 year old college student, and I am suffering from severely uncontrolled type 1 diabetes as well as anorexia nervosa. At the present time, my weight is somewhat stable but tends to fluctuate depending on my eating habits. I am not sure what to do because I refuse to get an insulin pump due to body image issues. Any suggestions? (7 Jul 2003)

163. A friend of mine who has been taking grape seed extract for about 14 months, has decreased her insulin by about two-thirds, has since ceased taking flu shots, and she no longer takes Lipitor. What long term health effects and benefits will a friend experience from reducing her insulin? (7 Jul 2003)

164. I have been on anti-seizure medications for epilepsy since I was 16 years old, and I have type 2 diabetes. What is the possibility that I do not have epilepsy at all, but rather, had a hyperglycemic episode for the half a dozen seizures I have had in the past 18 years? (7 Jul 2003)

165. I take Lantus twice per day with Humalog before meals, and I have been having high blood sugars in the mornings when I wake up. I tried to increase the Lantus, but my blood sugars were still high when I woke up. Is it possible my blood sugar is dropping too low and my system is rebounding my sugars high in the morning? (7 Jul 2003)

166. I have a 16 year old girl who had an acute viral infection. She is currently taking Mixtard and metformin. Can we shift her to oral agents alone? (7 Jul 2003)

167. I had a pancreas only transplant, and my I chiropractor my prescribed DHEA and melatonin. However, I got home and read that melatonin may go against non-self cells in the body. Is is safe for me are to take DHEA and melatonin? Will taking them increase the possibility of my body rejecting the pancreas? (7 Jul 2003)

168. I have had type 1 diabetes form more than 10 years, have had a urinary problem for about five years and suffer from extreme seepage after urinating. I saw a urologist who did not find a problem, but I cannot believe that this condition is normal. None of the professionals I have told this problem about really appears to have a clue about it. Any ideas? (7 Jul 2003)

169. My son, who has type 1 diabetes, is also developmentally disabled, and has some autistic and obsessive-compulsive behaviors. I have been doing some reading about treatment of autism with enzymes that supposedly help. What effect these enzymes would have on blood sugar levels if I were to try them with my son? (6 Jul 2003)

170. Is it okay not to take insulin injections before sports or any other physical activity? (6 Jul 2003)

171. Are laser sessions expensive? (6 Jul 2003)

172. After a person has their first hypoglycemic seizure, is there a tendency for that person to seize more easily the next time they go extremely low? Does hypoglycemia lower the seizure threshold in a patient who does not otherwise have a seizure disorder? (6 Jul 2003)

173. My daughter had an elevated blood sugar when she was sick. Since then, we have been checking her blood sugars, her fasting blood sugars are always normal, and she has one or two per week that are elevated. She does have anti-GAD antibodies, but no islet cell antibodies. What is your opinion? (6 Jul 2003)

174. Seven months ago, I found out I have type 2 diabetes, and I heard that diabetes skips a generation. Is that true? (6 Jul 2003)

175. I am now on Glucophage twice per day, and my glucose levels are still hovering around 200 mg/dl [11.1 mmol/L]. Why can I no longer control this by diet and exercise as I have for the last six years? Why isn't the Glucophage bringing the levels down to a comfortable 110-120 mg/dl [6.1-6.7 mmol/L]?. (6 Jul 2003)

176. Our three year old son has type 1 diabetes and we will be traveling from Finland to Maine, USA (a seven hour time difference) in about six weeks. When do we give the insulin injections on travel days? Also, I have heard that Protaphane and Actrapid are under different names in the US. What are the corresponding names? (6 Jul 2003)

177. My son is on Lantus with Humalog, he has been having low blood sugars in the middle of the night, and he usually wakes with a high blood sugar reading in the morning. Any suggestions? (6 Jul 2003)

178. What is the recommended schedule for testing and treatment for preventative care? For instance, How often should thyroid, adrenal, cholesterol, etc. be tested? Beginning at what age should preventative treatment be administered? Are there other tests/preventatives that should be done that I am not aware of? (6 Jul 2003)

179. I have noticed that during my monthly period my fasting blood glucose level does go up. Does fasting glucose levels rise during a woman' s monthly period? (5 Jul 2003)

180. My four year old son has problems with behavior and concentrating at school. He constantly drinks and wants regular snacks which seem to calm him down. We have consulted his help visitor who advises that we speak to the doctor. (5 Jul 2003)

181. I have dark brown spots that feel kind of scaly, and I don't know what it is. Is this normal for someone with a type 2 diabetes? Should I get help? (5 Jul 2003)

182. Seven months ago, I found out I have type 2 diabetes, and my seven year old grandson is overweight but active. He told his mom that he sees different colored balls all the time, and he has had glasses for bout two years. Is this something to be worried about? I am worried he might have diabetes. (5 Jul 2003)

183. My 14 year old daughter, who has had type 1 diabetes for a little over five years, has never been consistent about writing her blood sugar readings down. How can we make her understand how very important it is to keep records? (5 Jul 2003)

184. I am currently Glucotrol XL (twice daily) along with 100 units of Lantus every night, and three shots of Regular (25-30 units each dose). The problem is I am very sleepy during the day, I feel like I've been drugged, and I had to quit my job because of this about five weeks ago. I asked my doctor if I could take the Lantus in the morning, but he said it was better to take it at night. (5 Jul 2003)

185. What is ketogenic hypoglycemia? What are the signs and symptoms? What is the treatment? (5 Jul 2003)

186. My friend was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes shortly after carbon monoxide poisoning. Is it possible that the carbon monoxide poisoning caused or was a contributing factor in the development of diabetes? (5 Jul 2003)

187. I assume my two year old son, diagnosed with type1 diabetes six months ago, is still in his honeymoon period because of his low insulin doses. He wakes in range, but occasionally he will run high and just keep going higher and wake high the next day. I can't figure out why this happens. Could it just be due to the unpredictability of the insulin? (5 Jul 2003)

188. I assume my two year old son, diagnosed with type1 diabetes six months ago, is still in his honeymoon period because of his low insulin doses. He wakes in range, but occasionally he will run high and just keep going higher and wake high the next day. I can't figure out why this happens. Could it just be due to the unpredictability of the insulin? (5 Jul 2003)

189. My 14 month old daughter has been drinking what I think is a lot of water, but since she is in diapers, I can't tell if she's urinating more. I would like to do a finger stick test on her, with my monitor, but I don't know what the normal glucose readings of a 14 month old are. What is the normal volume of water a 14 month old infant should be taking in? (3 Jul 2003)

190. My 15 year old daughter is extremely frustrated with her current weight. I know that it would probably be wise to get the endocrinologist involved in her efforts, but she needs some positive feedback now to enable her to approach him without feeling defeated or foolish. What can we say to both encourage her efforts and admonish her to seek his assistance? (3 Jul 2003)

191. My one year old son, diagnosed with neonatal diabetes, is using an insulin pump and the amount of insulin he needs daily is small (less than 0.25 unit per kilo). The nurse in the endocrine unit says he's having long honeymoon. I thought honeymoon is typical only for type I diabetes, but he was tested and doesn't antibodies. Is a honeymoon possible in neonatal diabetes? (3 Jul 2003)

192. I have two cousins who married sisters. Each has one son, and both sons have just recently been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. None can find a relative who has diabetes on either side of the family. Could there be a connection here?. (3 Jul 2003)

193. I am concerned about my three year old godson. He is Hispanic, obese, and his mother tells me he drinks a lot of water. What should I advise her to do? (3 Jul 2003)

194. What do you do when your blood sugars are low, and you have high ketones? (3 Jul 2003)

195. Six weeks ago, my husband who has type 2 diabetes was found to have a benign mass on his adrenal gland, and his blood sugars have been haywire since then. The doctor does not see a need to follow up on the adrenal mass further, but we are quite frustrated and do not know what to do at this point. Do we need to go further? (3 Jul 2003)

196. I am seriously wanting to change something about my three year old daughter's care, as increased insulin doses do not seem to be working, and I am considering pump therapy. I have several questions. (1 Jul 2003)

197. My daughter just had three screening for celiac disease.The gliadin antibody was high, but the IGa and transglutamine IGa were negative, and the doctor says this means she doesn't have celiac disease because all three need to be positive for a diagnosis. What do these tests mean? Is it likely that my daughter will develop celiac disease? (1 Jul 2003)

198. My son has had problems with his sugar readings no matter how hard we have tried. He complains of stomachaches and has a fatty liver, and he also has chest pain now attributed mild resting pulmonary hypertension. I am so worried about him. What should I be asking the doctors? (1 Jul 2003)

199. I am taking twice daily Lantus with Humalog, my blood sugars are 30-300 mg/dl [1.7-16.7 mmol/L], and a neurologist prescribed Trileptal to help with emotional control. However, after reading about it, I won't take it. What do you think? (1 Jul 2003)

200. My daughter has hypoglycemia, is going to camp this summer, and they insist that she keep her blood sugar meter in a health center. She is also not allowed to keep food in her cabin, except they said she could keep glucose tablets and a few packs of saltines. What is your opinion? (1 Jul 2003)

201. Since I started taking MSM, I noticed that my insulin requirements had to be lowered, my blood glucose levels became more manageable, I have no hypoglycemia at night, and normal readings in the mornings.Have there been any tests on people with type 1 diabetes to see if MSM is, in fact, helping the body to better utilize the insulin or regulate the glucose levels? (1 Jul 2003)

202. Can someone with type 1 diabetes develop type 2 ? (1 Jul 2003)

The Diabetes Team

Physicians
Bill Jones, MD (Specialist in the management of diabetes during pregnancy, member since April 1997)
Marco Songini, MD (Italy) (Pediatric, adolescent, and adult endocrinologist and diabetologist, member since April 1997)
Larry Deeb, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since July 1998)
John Schulga, MBChB MRCGP MRCP FRCPCH (UK) (Consultant Paediatrician in childhood and adolescent diabetes and endocrinology, member since July 1999)
Stuart Brink, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 1999)
Matthew Brown, MD (Pediatrician and a Pediatric Diabetologist, member since January 2000)
Jim Lane, MD (Adult Endocrinologist, member since November 2000)
David Schwartz, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since May 2001)
Andrea Scaramuzza, MD (Italy) (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 2003)
Fran Kaufman, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since August 2006)
Linda DiMeglio, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist)

Nurses
Barb Schreiner, RN, MPH, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist, member since July 2002)
Jane Seley, RN, GNP, MPH, MSN, CDE, CHES (Diabetes Nurse Practitioner, member since August 2002)
Joe Solowiejczyk, RN, MSW (Family Therapist, member since April 2010)
Linda Mackowiak, RN, MS, FNP, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist)

Psychologists
Jill Weissberg-Benchell, PhD (Medical Psychology and Psychiatry, member since January 2000)

Dietitians
James Michael Schurig, MS, RD, LD, CDE (Dietitian, member since December 2000)

Exercise Physiologists
Rick Philbin, M.Ed., A.T.C., C.S.C.S (Sports Medicine, member since July 2004)

Researchers
Lois Schmidt Finney, RD, MPH, CDE (DPT-1 Research Coordinator, member since July 1998)
Heather Speer, MPH, CCRC, CDE (Clinical Diabetes Research and Education Coordinator, member since July 1998)

Social Workers
Debbie Butler, CDE, MSW, LICSW (Licensed Clinical Social Worker, member since October 2004)

And Our Occasional Experts