From Abbotsford, British Columbia, Canada:

I am a very active 55 year old woman, with type 1 diabetes. Since I started taking MSM (methylsulfonylmethane) for minor pain relief caused by old injuries, I noticed that my insulin requirements had to be lowered, my blood glucose levels became more manageable, I have no hypoglycemia at night, and normal readings in the mornings. I experimented with the MSM by completely discontinuing it for two weeks. My blood glucose levels rose immediately, and I had to increase my insulin dosages. I continued without the MSM for a week and then returned to my MSM supplements.

Again I had to drop my insulin dosages, blood glucose readings became extremely manageable, and I no longer fear the hypoglycemia at night. I am now back on the MSM and do not intend to experiment again. Have there been any tests on people with type 1 diabetes to see if MSM is, in fact, helping the body to better utilize the insulin or regulate the glucose levels?

No I have not. Is it possible you are more physically active while taking the MSM? Could this be why your insulin requirements were decreased?

Posted to Alternative Therapies and Explanations