Question:

From Fresno, California, USA:

I am the godmother to my girlfriend's three year old son, and not long ago she called me concerned because he became lethargic after she gave him some M&Ms. Conversations we have had she tells me he drinks a lot of water. My daughter has babysat and said he eats until he is sick and keeps eating.

Mom is morbidly obese, father had childhood obesity, and maternal grandmother has diabetes. He is pretty big for his age, but up until a few months ago he was average. She told me he was getting so big, but I was shocked when I saw him -- it wasn't what I expected, Rather than a toddler growing up, he had become very plump. He also has dark spots on his teeth, and I know mom brings him fast-food french fries several times per week.

I didn't want to bring this up to her until I got some feedback to prevent scaring her or possibly insulting her because of his appetite/size, but when I read an article in today's paper on the alarming increase of diabetes in children, the M&M incident for some reason flooded my thoughts. He is also Hispanic which seemed to increase the odds according to the article. What should I advise her to do?

Answer:

He should be evaluated by his pediatrician for illness that could relate to his obesity.

[Editor's comment: See What You Need to Know about Type 2 Diabetes in Children. SS]