From Israel:

My one year old son, diagnosed with neonatal diabetes when he was three and a half months old, is using an insulin pump, and the amount of insulin he needs daily is small (less than 0.25 unit per kilo). His glucose levels are 100-150 mg/dl [5.6-8.3 mmol/L], and the nurse in the endocrine unit says he's having long honeymoon. I thought honeymoon is typical only for type I diabetes, but he was tested and doesn't antibodies. Is a honeymoon possible in neonatal diabetes? In cases of transient neonatal diabetes, what is the expected age for remission?

Neonatal diabetes is different from typical type 1 diabetes and often does not show antibodies. However, every child is unique, and it is difficult to know for sure what is going on. The treatment is based upon frequent blood glucose monitoring and food with insulin adjustments accordingly. It sounds like you are doing a great job with glucose control so keep up the good work and stay in close contact with your son's endocrine team.

Posted to Honeymoon