From New York, USA:

I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes six years ago and have been able to manage it with diet and exercise three months ago, I came down with a cold that lasted for over two weeks and during and since the cold, I have been unable to control my glucose levels. It towered over 290 mg/dl [16.1 mmol/L] before my doctor prescribed Glucophage. I am now on it twice per day, and my glucose levels are still hovering around 200 mg/dl [11.1 mmol/L]. Why can I no longer control this by diet and exercise as I have for the last six years? Why isn't the Glucophage bringing the levels down to a comfortable 110-120 mg/dl [6.1-6.7 mmol/L]?

I am not sure the cold was the stimulus for worsening control. The natural history of type 2 diabetes is to worsen over time. I would suggest you need to have your Glucophage [metformin] increased in order to meet target blood sugar goals.

Posted to Daily Care and Type 2