Question:

From Plainfield, Illinois, USA:

I am 33 years old, have had type 1 diabetes since the age of eight, and 10 months ago, I had a pancreas only transplant. I have also been going to a chiropractor for muscular stiffness in my back, and when I told her that I have been very tired lately, she did some tests the transplant team didn't check for. The results showed that my DHEA and melatonin are low so she prescribed both. However, I got home and read that melatonin may go against non-self cells in the body. Is is safe for me are to take DHEA and melatonin? Will taking them increase the possibility of my body rejecting the pancreas?

Answer:

Never, never, never take "supplements" without contacting your transplant team and getting their okay. See Herbs and other Supplements, at the Diabetes Monitor.

WWQ

Posted to Alternative Therapies and Explanations