From Plainfield, Illinois, USA:

I am 33 years old, have had type 1 diabetes since the age of eight, and 10 months ago, I had a pancreas only transplant. I have also been going to a chiropractor for muscular stiffness in my back, and when I told her that I have been very tired lately, she did some tests the transplant team didn't check for. The results showed that my DHEA and melatonin are low so she prescribed both. However, I got home and read that melatonin may go against non-self cells in the body. Is is safe for me are to take DHEA and melatonin? Will taking them increase the possibility of my body rejecting the pancreas?

Never, never, never take "supplements" without contacting your transplant team and getting their okay. See Herbs and other Supplements, at the Diabetes Monitor.

Posted to Alternative Therapies and Explanations