Question:

From Valparaiso, Indiana, USA:

I take Lantus twice per day with Humalog before meals, and I have been having high blood sugars in the mornings when I wake up. I tried to increase the Lantus, but my blood sugars were still about 240-250 mg/dl [13.3-13.9 mmol/L] when I woke up. Is it possible my blood sugar is dropping too low and my system is rebounding my sugars high in the morning?

Answer:

I suggest you talk to your physician about increasing the Lantus (insulin glargine) dose. This should help to bring the fasting blood sugar into line.

Posted to Daily Care and Insulin Analogs