Question:

From Arizona, USA:

A friend of mine who has been taking grape seed extract (GSPE) for about 14 months, has decreased her insulin by about two-thirds, has since ceased taking flu shots, and she no longer takes Lipitor. She also experienced the healing of sores by using tea tree oil when nothing else worked. She made these choices of her own after intense reading and research on the benefits of grape seed extract and discussing this with her heart surgeon and other professional care providers. Everyone that knows her marvels at her renewed vitality. What long term health effects and benefits will a friend experience from reducing her insulin? Please give me as professional response as possible.

Answer:

GSPE is a fashionable antioxidant which, like vitamins A and C, nicotinamide and many other products, have claimed a role in the amelioration of degenerative vascular conditions including those that result from diabetes. Formal clinical studies to confirm this have shown equivocal results.

These products have no direct effect on glucose metabolism but are for the most part harmless, and, in your friend's case, I would have to suppose that the very substantial reduction in insulin dose is the result of a placebo effect on diet and exercise. I think that your friend would also be well advised not to forego flu shots and to make sure that she maintains blood glucose control as carefully as possible. Tea tree oil is reported to be of benefit in the topical management of bacterial and fungal infections and may show local reactions.

DTQ-ONCDMGB20030419
Posted to Alternative Therapies and Explanations