Question:

From Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA:

My wife, who has type 2 diabetes, gets cravings for Good and Plenty candy about twice a week. I have had many arguments with her about this, but it does no good. She tells me things like, her blood sugar level is only 102 mg/dl [5.7 mmol/L]. What are the short- and long-term medical consequences of this kind of behaviour?

Answer:

As long as her hemoglobin A1c is less than 6.5%, and she doesn't have too many Good and Plenty too often, I could live with this. The candy contains empty calories, so nutritionally it is certainly not a healthy choice, but if she eats the candy when her sugar is low or low normal and doesn't do it very often, it wouldn't concern me.

JS