Question:

From Iowa, USA:

I haven't had my period for almost three months. Could this have anything to do with my diabetes? I have had type 1 diabetes for about two years, and am active in sports.

Answer:

I seriously doubt that three months of missed menses is directly due to your diabetes. You should first check to see if you are pregnant. This is the most common cause of a missed period in a young woman. Other causes could be major weight changes. From your other comments, I am assuming that you are athletic and aggressive weight reduction can affect your menstrual cycle. Problems with your thyroid gland can also affect ovulation and lead to lack of a menstrual period. You should discuss these further with your doctor, since some of these issues can be ruled out with some simple tests.

DTQ-20030625205033B