Question:

From Queens, New York, USA:

I have typeá2 diabetes, and my 10 year old son is extremely overweight, so I have been checking his blood sugars with my meter, and they have been 200-310 mg/dl [11.1-17.2 mmol/L]. I told my doctor, who tested him, but I took him in fasting, and they didn't test him until 11:00 am which allowed his sugars to be normal. I feel he is borderline and would like a second opinion. How can I go about this?

Answer:

If your son really is 'extremely' overweight and has had repeated random blood sugars that are over 126 mg/dl [7mmol/L] then it seems probable that he already has typeá2 diabetes despite the apparently normal blood sugar in the doctor's office. Just the same, it would be important to see exactly where he is on the percentile charts for Body Mass Index which is based on height and weight -- and to make quite sure that you yourself are really measuring blood sugars accurately. I certainly think that this history justifies asking for a referral to a children's diabetes team.

[Editor's comment: See What You Need to Know about Type 2 Diabetes in Children. SS]