Question:

From Syracuse, New York, USA:

I was diagnosed with type 1 when I was only 20 months old, and in the early 1960s, we only had glass syringes with a separate metal hub and needle which had to be boiled after each use, the only way to test for sugar was by testing my urine that only gave a color range -- not very efficient, but that was all I had. Then came test strips and the first lancets. From there, things have progressed. I had a kidney/pancreas transplant nine years ago, and things have been going fairly well since then.

Since I have lived with type 1 diabetes so long, what can I do to help educate other people and their families who are recently diagnosed? While it is a lot to take in, perhaps my past experiences could help some people cope better with the advancements made in treating diabetes.

Answer:

There are many ways that you can contribute, including:

JSH