From Chicago, Illinois, USA:

My seven year old son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes a month ago, and I took family medical leave from work to take care of him and educate his school, along with the struggle of getting a full time nurse at his school. He is the only child with diabetes in his school, right now the is a nurse there two days a week, and from what I was told today there will only be a nurse there on the three days who will only to come in to check his sugar and then leave.

The feedback I am getting from the school staff is that they are very uncomfortable with having to give a glucagon shot if he passes out. It is one of the best accelerated schools in Illinois, but their lack of assurance during the time my son will need the most makes me very frightened.

I did the 504 plan and called the regional local school board, but what they are supplying us we could do ourselves. I was told today to think about transferring my son to a different school, but I feel that he has gone and will go through enough pain that he should not have to suffer any more. I am willing to rearrange my whole life until he is regulated before I rearrange his.

What else can I do to get a nurse at school for the three whole days for his medical needs outside of just sugar testing? Who else can help?

It is understandable at this stage that you should be anxious about hypoglycemia during school hours, but there are several steps you can take to help. The first would be to contact the American Diabetes Association at 1-800-DIABETES (342-2383) to get their packet on education discrimination and to find out how to contact the ADA advocacy staff in your area.

Secondly you should talk to your son's diabetes team about an insulin regimen that minimises the risk of hypoglycemia which might include bedtime Lantus, NPH with Humalog or NovoLog at breakfast time, and Humalog or NovoLog again just after supper. He may be already on this.

Finally, you should read as much as you can about type 1 diabetes management. All this may help you to feel that the school are doing all they can at a time when there seems to be great pressure everywhere on their budgets.

Posted to School and Daycare