From Los Angeles, California, USA:

I read about INGAP therapy. Where can I contact the researchers involved in it? Are there any current human trials for this therapy? What is your opinion?

INGAP or Islet NeoGenesis Associated Protein is a hamster protein which has been shown to increase islet cell mass in both normal animals and young animals with diabetes.

It is probable that any new islet tissue would be vulnerable to destruction in type 1A (autoimmune) diabetes. Whilst not of direct therapeutic interest at the moment, this area of developmental biology may one day provide an important new key to diabetes treatment.

I found out that Eli Lilly had contracted for a human trial that they then cancelled in 1999. However, Procter & Gamble have apparently been persuaded to commit the money, and phase I/II clinical trials are under way.

[Editor's comment: See Procter & Gamble Announces Strategic Alliance With GMP Companies For Novel Treatment Of Diabetes Mellitus. JSH]

Posted to Research: Other Research