From Medina, Ohio, USA:

I have type 2 diabetes, and about 10 months ago, I had a ultrasound which showed a swollen right kidney. I could not go back for a repeat ultrasound two months later because I keep experiencing bladder infections and severe pain in the right side of my back just below my ribs, and I've also experienced black urine in the morning. Can you tell me what's wrong?

I am concerned you may have infection in the kidney. This can be a serious condition. I would not delay in seeking medical advice on how to treat it. The dark urine could also be old blood. Please see your physician as soon as possible.