Question:

From Lexington, South Carolina, USA:

For almost three days my daughter experienced many high and some low blood sugar levels with no explanation, and this morning we discovered her first loose tooth. Could this have caused the unusual blood sugar levels?

Answer:

Yes. During exfoliation of a primary tooth, there is an inflammatory process and this may be what I and several others have observed to be the cause of blood sugars "bouncing around".

My advice is if the child cannot completely get it out in a timely fashion, have the dentist remove it. However, be aware that loose teeth seem to bother the parents more than the kids.

FV

Posted to Daily Care and Other