From Brentwood, New York, USA:

I have had type 1 diabetes less than six months and want to know if I have a sugar score of 163 mg/dl [9.1 mmol/L], are insulin shots necessary every day? Should I also test my level?

Sugar levels of 163 mg/dl [9.1 mmol/L] before breakfast are not normal, and if you truly have type 1 diabetes, insulin is necessary. If your sugars are that high, even if you have type 2 diabetes and have been treated with oral hypoglycemic agents, it might be time to use insulin. If you have not been treated with medications, your doctor may choose to treat you with oral agents in order to bring your sugars down.

As far as testing your sugar level, I believe everyone with diabetes should be testing their blood sugar. It allows you to follow trends in your blood sugars that require attention, gives you feedback on the effect of foods, activity, and sick days. It also allows you to determine if your blood sugars are improving in the long-term or if they are getting worse.

[Editor's comment: If you have not had diabetes education, I would suggest you ask your doctor for a referral to a diabetes team or contact your local American Diabetes Association affiliate or hospital for a diabetes education program near you. SS]