Question:

From Graham, North Carolina, USA:

While doing some research on Neem for a skin disorder, I have seen many different statements that Neem is good for reducing insulin requirements for people with diabetes. Do you have any type of information pertaining to Neem's effectiveness in diabetes? Are there any side effects? What are the age limitations? Should Neem be used to treat diabetes in children?

Answer:

Neem is an Ayurvedic product that has no role whatsoever in the treatment of any form of diabetes in children.

Additional comments from David Mendosa, A Writer on the Web:

The problem with Neem in treating type 1 diabetes is that while it may reduce blood glucose levels, it can't replace insulin injections. Of course, every herbal treatment has the same limitation. The biggest danger comes when parents substitute an herb for insulin. That said, the best resource I know for Neem is The Natural Pharmacist.

DM

[Editor's comment: Also, see Herbs and other Supplements, at the Diabetes Monitor. WWQ]

Posted to Alternative Therapies and Explanations