Question:

From Darien, Connecticut, USA:

My 12 year old daughter has suspected diabetes, has always struggled with her weight as well as metabolizing her foods, and as a result of a high blood sugar reading, our new endocrinologist has put her on Glucophage. I am thinking that Glucophage XR might be better for her but can not find evidence that it has been tested in children. My daughter just had her first period and is pretty much fully grown.

Answer:

There is not much testing available for children or adolescents with Glucophage [metformin]. You should discuss this matter with your daughter's endocrinologist.

There is also not much reason to worry about the extended release form vs the standard form, in my opinion, however. There is some preliminary evidence suggesting that ways to treat insulin resistance and obesity syndromes may be very important if increased exercise and decreased food intake is not working.

Posted to Pills for Diabetes