Question:

From Northville, Michigan, USA:

I have type 2 diabetes, and a couple of hours after I had two packets of Splenda [sucralose] in my coffee, my blood sugar was up 50 points on my meter. I'm curious as to whether the Splenda caused that. Has Splenda been approved by the American Diabetes Association?

Answer:

The American Diabetes Association does list Splenda as an acceptable sugar substitute. I would be surprised if Splenda caused the rise in your blood sugar, although the caffeine in the coffee could be the culprit.

JS

[Editor's comment: Per an article at the ADA website on sweeteners:

Sucralose (SPLENDA) is the newest low calorie sweetener on the market. Sucralose can be used anywhere sugar can be used, such as in beverages, baked goods, and processed foods. Like other low calorie sweeteners, you may need to add some sugar to recipes to improve texture. All of these low calorie sweeteners may help people who have diabetes or are overweight reduce calories and stick to a healthy meal plan...

WWQ]