My husband, who was just prescribed Glucophage for his type 2 diabetes, is unable to swallow pills and must chew them first. We've tried numerous tricks to help him learn to swallow to no avail. Will he do any damage to himself by chewing the Glucophage?

My advice would be to ask your pharmacist, or call the manufacturer of Glucophage [metformin] and ask them.

Additional comments from Jane Seley, diabetes nurse specialist:

I can only find info on not chewing the "XR" (extended release version) so I guess he might be okay to chew the non-extended release versions of metformin.

Posted to Pills for Diabetes