Question:

From California, USA.:

I had gestational diabetes two years ago, and six weeks after delivery, I was told my blood sugars were not high enough to require insulin, but I should be checked again in 6-12 months. The diabetes nurse told me that I developed gestational diabetes because I was genetically predisposed, and I would probably develop type 2 myself later on in life.

Worried to death, I used my home testing kit to monitor my blood sugar noted they were above normal (pre-breakfast: 5-7 mmol/L [90-126 mg/dl] ) so I followed a low carb/low fat diet, did 30 minutes of exercise daily, and tightly monitored my sugar levels. I brought them down to normal (pre-breakfast: 4.9 to 5.8 mmol/L [88-104 mg/dl]), and, based on this information, I believe I have a mild type 2 diabetes. I would love to have another child, but I am worried about the strain this would have on my body. If I can I manage the diabetes without medical intervention, will my condition still worsen?

Answer:

My best advice to you is to see an endocrinologist to evaluate whether or not you have type 2 diabetes and for pre-pregnancy counseling. You can have a very good chance of a healthy pregnancy if you get and keep your blood sugar under good control.

JS

Additional comments from Dr. Bill Jones:

You probably do have type 2 diabetes. However, to confirm this I would recommend a formal glucose at your doctor's office. This could also be done at the local health department clinic.

Future pregnancies could be managed without difficulty with diet, oral hypoglycemic agents, and/or insulin. I speculate that you will need some additional medical treatment for glucose control during a pregnancy.

[Editor's comment: See Planning a pregnancy , at the Diabetes Monitor, for some additional thoughts. WWQ]

Posted to Family Planning