Question:

From Bryan, Ohio, USA:

I've been noticing lately that my five year old son, who has ADHD and takes Risperdal, wants to drink constantly and doesn't urinate that much for as much as he drinks. My son is very active and doesn't act sick, but I'm worried about why he wants to drink so much. He acts like he hasn't had a drink of water or juice in two days right after he has had a big glass of water or juice.

A friend who has diabetes tested his sugar level, and it was 193 mg/dl [10.7 mmol/L] which she said was very high. Could the Risperdal be making it that high? Could this be diabetes? I don't know what to do so please help me if you can.

Answer:

I doubt that the Risperdal is related to his blood sugar. I would promptly review your concerns and the result of the home blood sugar testing with your son's pediatrician.