Question:

From Blackpool, England:

I am a 15 year old who has had some problems over the years which I just thought it was because I have been a fussy eater. However, I heard about diabetes, so I looked at the symptoms, and I am really scared because I have nearly everything that was said (especially symptoms of type 1 diabetes).

I am not overweight, I have to go to the toilet sometimes very regularly because inside it feels like I have to. I start to binge eat, sometimes I have to drink loads and can't satisfy my thirst, sometimes I get blurred vision like something goes over my eyes, and I have to rub or blink loads of times to get it away (and it does within a couple of seconds). If I don't eat every couple of hours, I go all lightheaded and feel as if I am not there, but once I've eaten, I am okay. Also, I had thrush as well. At the moment it all seems to be in phases, apart from the lightheadedness which happens if I don't eat regularly.

I'm so scared, and I really don't know what to do. I haven't said anything to my parents because they say I'm just being silly and think it's just because I don't eat very well. Would you suggest I go to a doctor? I really think I should just to make sure.Can you die from diabetes? Please help me!

Answer:

It can sometimes be difficult to know if the symptoms are due to diabetes or not. It is very easy to test for, and I would suggest going to see your doctor to be checked for it. If you are not keen to go to your doctor, you could go to see the nurse who I am sure could test you.

JS