Question:

From Miami, Florida:

I am 28 years old, have had type 1 for 20 years, and the only diagnosed complication I have so far is background retinopathy. However, this morning my urine was foamy when I awoke. Since I have read this can be a symptom of protein in the urine I am very worried. I see my endocrinologist in about two weeks, but until that time I know I will be worried, and there is just no way to get in to see him sooner.

The last time I saw him, which I admit was about a year ago, I had no microalbumin or protein in my urine, and I had a normal BUN level. Is the fact that I had foamy urine in the morning indicative of protein in my urine, and therefore kidney damage? Could there be some innocuous reason? I don't know if "normal" people ever have this. Also, and I don't know if it matters, but I have my period. Could that be the reason?

Answer:

The only way to sort this out is to have your urine tested for protein/microalbumin when you are not having your period (blood has protein in it). You may also need a urine culture to rule out infection. If you are having any vaginal itching, you might also want to clear up any vaginal yeast infection before you do some of these tests. Your endocrinologist may prefer that you bring in a first morning urine. I suggest you contact your endocrinologist and ask him/her if there is anything you should do in the meantime.