Question:

From West Chester, Pennsylvania, USA:

We are considering a move to Bangkok, Thailand for two to four years, but we are concerned about our daughter's health since she was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes three years ago. We are not familiar with the health care system; accessibility to supplies (Humalog, blood glucose monitors, pump support, etc.) and complications that may arise due to various diseases in that part of the world. We have been given a name of a hospital in Bangkok, Bumrungrad Hospital, but we do not have any specific information regarding the diabetes medical care there. We would only consider moving if it did not jeopardize our daughter's health. What would your recommendations be regarding health care for our daughter in Thailand at this time ?

Answer:

We asked a person we know who lived in Thailand for several years, and his reply was as follows:

I've just received your e-mail question regarding your potential move to Thailand. I have been based in Bangkok for the past seven years and have type 1 treated with Humulin NPH and Regular. The level of healthcare in Bangkok private hospitals is good, and the Bumrumgrad itself has a good reputation. I use the Bangkok Nursing Home (on Convent Road Tel: 02 632 0550) which is closer to my accommodation. I am not sure about how much insulin pumps are used is in Thailand and will be finding out by the end of September. Lantus is not yet available but is coming soon.

Regarding supplies, I have a friend in Bangladesh (which is much less developed than Thailand) who has absolutely no access to Lantus and NovoLog, but she has supplies sent to her from the UK and this works fine.

So far, I have been very happy with the way things are organised there. Blood glucose monitors and test strips are available (I use Accu-Chek Advantage in Thailand.).

I hope that this helps. If I hear any info on pumps etc. before September I'll let you know. Meantime if you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact me.

Best regards,

Douglas Cairns (www.diabetesworldflight.com)

SS

Posted to Traveling