Question:

From Alexandra, New Zealand:

I am 17 years old, I have had diabetes for almost three years, and I have heard good things about insulin pumps, although they are not that common here. I am very active and enjoy lots of water sports such as kayaking and windsurfing as well as mountain biking, running, and hockey. If I get a pump, how does it work for when you exercise? (I imagine that it cannot get wet and be thumped about.) Can it be worn in the water? Just wondering because it would be more an inconvenience to have to take it off every time I exercise.

Answer:

Go to the insulin pump manufacturers' web sites and you can see what others wearing pumps do. Certainly you can be extremely active and participate in sports activities while wearing a pump. Some people remove the pump temporarily, and many of the new pumps are waterproof. They are fine electronic "machines", so major bumping wouldn't be so wise. However, they are also well made, and you can provide some protection.

You should discuss this with the folks on your diabetes team who can review what options are available to you and do so paying attention to your own lifestyle. Insulin-Dependent Diabetes in Children, Adolescents and Adults by Ragnar Hanas talks about this as does Pumping Insulin by Walsh and Roberts.

Posted to Insulin Pumps and Exercise and Sports