Question:

From El Paso, Texas, USA:

I am 31 years old, have had type 1 diabetes for 14 years, and I have recently begun to experience pain and severe tightness in my neck and shoulders, with an accompanying severe itch deep within that I can never satisfy. Even more recently, I have had numbness and tingling down both arms, especially in my right arm.

After blood work for rheumatoid arthritis and other arthritis related conditions, an electromyogram (EMG) and an MRI, no one can really figure out what is going on, and they make me even feel like it is all in my head, even though I know it is not. The doctor who did the EMG also has diabetes and asked what kind of insulin I take. When I told him I take Humalog, he responded that he wonders if the fast action of that drug comes with a neurological price. Has anyone dealt with anything similar? Any thoughts on this problem?

Answer:

Your physician is incorrect. Insulins do not cause such symptoms, but diabetic neuropathy may. I would suggest you consult with a board certified endocrinologist with diabetes experience and have the appropriate testing done. Things like thyroid and adrenal problems, celiac disease, calcium abnormalities and pernicious anemia, etc. can also cause such problems so a thorough evaluation would be in order. You may also want to consult with a neurologist experienced in treating people with diabetes as well.

Posted to Aches and Pains and Insulin Analogs