Question:

From Durban, South Africa:

My two and a half year old daughter is constantly getting bladder infections and such so her doctor said she should have a diabetes test. I did this, and the result was 4.7. Why did they suggest a diabetes test? Is this normal in a child of two and a half years?

Answer:

I'm unsure what test was done on your daughter. If you have questions regarding a specific test or why a test may be necessary, your best resource to answer questions regarding that test is the physician who ordered the testing.

[Editor's comment: It seems likely that your daughter's doctor ran either a hemoglobin A1c, or a blood glucose. In either case, the result would probably be considered normal. I believe he/she may have done this because repeated bladder infections can be a warning sign of diabetes. SS]