Question:

From Aiken, South Carolina, USA:

What is the difference between urine ketone and blood ketone monitoring? What products are available to monitor blood ketones? I can't find any in my local stores.

Answer:

It is easier (and cheaper) to check urine for ketones. You have probably seen and used the special urine strips that change color, depending on the presence and degree of ketones in the urine. Commonly, the concentration of urine ketones is depicted as either "negative", "trace", "small", "moderate", or "large". Moderate to large ketones in the urine often requires intervention.

Ketones in blood can also be checked with a special blood strip for use with the Precision Xtra Either technique is fine. Urine ketone checking is less expensive but perhaps less convenient.