Question:

From San Luis Obispo, California, USA:

I have had diabetes for twenty years. I have been breaking out in hives for the past six months, and about eight to nine years ago I also had them. I have big huge welts from the bottom of my feet to the top of my head. They are very bothersome and make me look like I have a skin disease. I have had skin tests and have been on numerous allergy pills. t is frustrating because I am not allergic to anything, but I continually break out. I am aware of another person with diabetes who gets hives like I do.

Have you heard of other people with diabetes getting hives? Do you know of any treatments that I have not already tried? I am also curious if you know of anyone studying people with diabetes who have hives?

Answer:

Hives have been reported in association with type 1A (autoimmune) and perhaps more often with autoimmune hypothyroidism which is in turn associated with diabetes and other immune disorders in the Autoimmune Polyglandular Syndrome Type II.

Antihistamines seem to be the primary resource in treatment; but in the past some good results were reported with the use of nifedipine, a calcium channel blocker that was mostly used to treat hypertension. Sometimes protamine [which is an ingredient in NPH insulin] was seen to be the antigen that promoted the IgE response so if you are on NPH, you might discuss a change to a regimen of Humalog or NovoLog with Lantus with your diabetes doctor.