Question:

From Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA:

I saw an advertisement on TV for product called 60 something, but I didn't pay a lot of attention. It was an insulin injector with a dial on it. You dial up the number of units, put a small needle on it, and push the red button. It seemed very convenient. Do you know about this product? Do you have any information on it?

Answer:

The device you mention sounds like the Innolet by Novo Nordisk. It is a pen-like device that comes pre-filled with either Novolin N (NPH]) or Novolin 70/30 but is not available with any other type of insulin.

There are other pen-like devices that might be more suitable for a teenager with type 1 diabetes, such as the NovoPen Junior which offers half-unit dosing or the InDuo which offers one-unit dosing. Both of these devices work with all Novo insulin cartridges.

JSH

[Editor's comment: See Insulin Pens. SS]