Question:

From Mamaroneck, New York, USA:

My 10 year old son, who has had type 1 diabetes for eight years, has had a gray circle above his ankle for about two months. He has seen a pediatrician and a culture for ringworm was negative. The doctor said it could be related to his diabetes and recommends making an appointment with a dermatologist which will be done. Do you know what this is? Is it, in fact, related to his diabetes?

Answer:

As far as I know, I have never heard of nor seen such a diabetes-related skin lesion, especially in someone so young.

[Editor's comment: It's impossible to diagnose skin lesions over the Internet. There are some skin lesions that do occur in kids with diabetes, such as necrobiosis lipoidica diabeticorum, but there are many skin lesions that occur in kids, whether or not they have diabetes. WWQ]