From Dublin, Ireland:

I'm 14 years old, have had type 1 diabetes for just over four years, and whenever I get my period, my blood sugars go unusually high. I this normal?

Yes, it can be quite common. In people with type 1 diabetes, it seems that hormonal fluctuations during the female cycle result in an increase of the blood sugar during the days before menstruation and a possible fall, leading to hypoglycemia, during the first couple of days of menses. You should check your blood sugar levels especially carefully on the days close to menstruation and make insulin adjustments that are necessary to keep your blood sugar levels under the best control.