Question:

From Cincinnati, Ohio, USA:

I operate a restaurant and am looking at ways to enhance my dessert menu to accommodate people with diabetes. Can you help with suggestions?

Answer:

I applaud your effort to include healthier dessert choices for your customers who have diabetes. Some good ideas you might include are: fresh fruit choices or a fruit medley, a pound cake with fresh strawberry topping, sugar free pudding with vanilla wafer crumbs, or angel food cake with blueberry/raspberry topping. In addition, the American Diabetes Association website has some very good dessert recipes for people with diabetes. Diabetes meal planning nowadays is more flexible than in years past and can include foods with sugar. Portion control is stressed as key for blood sugar control nowadays.

JMS

[Editor's comment: To expand on what Mike has said, I think what would be of most help to people with diabetes would be to provide them with the nutritional content not only of the desserts but of everything on your menu. Since most meal plans these days are based on carbohydrate counting, the amount of total carbohydrate per serving. If you need help, I'd suggest locating a dietitian who might be willing to help you. You could call the local American Diabetes Association or 1-800-TEAM UP 4 to find such a dietitian. SS]