Question:

From London, United Kingdom:

I have had a high cholesterol for four years which is treated with Lovastatin, along with type 2 diabetes which I have had for two years. A friend (who also has high cholesterol and diabetes) ran out of his Lovastatin and did not take it for two weeks after which time his blood sugar level was normal. Is there a link between Lovastatin and an increase in blood sugar?

Answer:

Not to my knowledge.

Additional comments from Jane Seley, diabetes nurse specialist:

I have not heard of this category of drugs (HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors, also called statins) raising blood sugar and many many people with diabetes take them.

JS

Posted to Other Medications