Question:

From Trail, British Columbia, Canada:

I am the main teacher in charge of helping a student learn more about his diabetes, as well as the management of his care while he is in school, and most of what I find deals with advocacy, or contains material not suited to teaching children how to begin to manage their diabetes. Where might I find materials useful in teaching children about the meaning of the blood sugar readings and food intake? His parents is supportive of finding or developing educational materials to use with the child.

Answer:

While your efforts are commendable, I don't not believe you are the most appropriate person to teach this child about his diabetes management. This task is better left to a diabetes team experienced in the care and education of children this age. You can help by supporting the child and assuring his school days focus mainly on being a child, albeit one who happens to have diabetes. Please encourage this child's parents to ask his diabetes team what would be appropriate for him to learn at this stage.

There are a number of excellent teaching materials out there, but keep is mind that the majority are geared for children older than five years of age. See Books and Videos for Children and Teens.

SS