From Karachi, Sindh, Pakistan:

I am a 55 year old man who has had type 2 diabetes for 20 years, and my doctor has now advised me to take insulin injections. However, I feel severe itching just like allergy in throughout my body just after taking the insulin which remains almost until the next injection. Why is this? What should I do? Should I not use insulin? If so, how can I control my sugar?

A generalized allergic reaction after insulin injection is very rare. Redness and itching that sometimes occurs immediately or within hours of an insulin shot can be due to an allergy to the insulin itself or a preservative. This type of reaction will usually subside after some years as you continue with insulin treatment, and there is a special skin test available to find out if you are allergic to the insulin, the preservative or sometimes also to the nickel in pen and syringe needles. Adding small amount of cortisone to the insulin shot usually has a good effect.

Discuss with your physician.

[Editor's comment: If you are on one type of insulin (such as NPH), switching to another type (such as Lente or Lantus) may resolve the problem. If so, this would be evidence that you indeed had a reaction to some ingredient (but not to the insulin itself) in the insulin liquid. WWQ]