Question:

From Gary, Indiana, USA:

I test with a meter, and my nurse says I should keep my blood sugar about 121 mg/dl [6.77 mmol/L]. Is this correct? I have been told readings of 70-100 mg/dl [3.9-5.6 mmol/L] are okay. What ranges should I have?

Answer:

To greatly reduce your risk of complications from diabetes, it is important that your blood sugars stay within range as much as possible. The goal is less than 120 mg/dl [6.7 mmol/L] before any meal and less than 140 mg/dl [7.8 mmol/L] two hours after you start eating any meal. In addition, your hemoglobin A1c should be less than 6.5%.

JS

DTQ-20030713234946A