Question:

From Shelburne, Nova Scotia, Canada:

I have been testing my 22 month old son's blood sugars off and on. At times it has been 10.7 mmol/L [193 mg/dl], and today I noticed he was shaking when he was eating his lunch. I checked his blood sugar which was 16.3 mmol/L [293 mg/dl], so I checked it about 20 minutes later, and it had gone down to 10.7 mg/dl [193 mmol/L]. He is still on his bottle, drinks excessively, and is always going to the fridge for something to drink. I am also changing his diaper constantly. He does not sleep through the night at all. He doesn't eat a lot, (and usually picks), which I figure is from drinking too much. When are the best times to test him? Do you think I should be concerned?

Answer:

The simple answer here is that you have enough anxiety to justify a proper professional assessment of your son. Go to the paediatrician with the information you have and get your son examined and tested properly. There are many reasons why he probably does not have diabetes, but it is unnecessary and unwise for you to make a diagnosis or for some to attempt one with too little information. Finally, stop testing him unless he is diagnosed as having diabetes or you are specifically asked to by the paediatrician.

[Editor's comment: Home glucose testing, if done, might be positive, as in this case, which makes the situation more urgent to get lab testing done to confirm the abnormal results. But as Dr. Robertson points out, testing for diabetes should include blood sugar levels performed by a medical laboratory. The timing of the sample (fasting, random, or postprandial) would influence how high a level is considered abnormal. See Classification and Diagnosis of Diabetes for further information.

Another test, the A1c, might be used to help confirm a suspected diagnosis of diabetes, but the A1c (also called HbA1c or glycosylated hemoglobin) is not usually considered as appropriate to make an initial diagnosis. Antibody testing is occasionally done as a screening test in high-risk situations, or as confirmatory of type 1A (autoimmune) diabetes, but is not part of routine testing. WWQ]