Question:

From Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA:

My eight year old daughter (4 feet 7 inches, 95 pounds) has type 1 diabetes and a BMI of 22. Is there a safe weight loss program for a child with diabetes? Nutrition and exercise? How many calories does she need per day for weight loss and maintenance?

Answer:

I would recommend that you schedule an appointment to meet with a pediatric diabetes dietitian in order to develop an individualized meal plan to assist your daughter with weight management. Meal plans nowadays are individualized based on personal food preferences, usual times of meals, etc. There is a fine balance between optimal blood sugar control and providing adequate calories for growth. Ask your physician for a referral to a dietitian if necessary.

JMS

Posted to Weight and Weight Loss