Question:

From Kent, Washington, USA:

I have type 2 diabetes treated with a low carb diet and 45-60 minutes of daily exercise. In addition, I am taking a low dose of 7-KETO DHEA, and my blood sugars are now over 7.6 mmol/L [137 mg/dl] in the morning. I have had much stress (family loss, job insecurity, loss of former coworker), and I get high readings after exercise (another kind of stress).

I understand that the 7-KETO DHEA might help the stress. Would it be beneficial to take a larger dose of the 7-KETO DHEA or just the DHEA? I understand it It is still okayed for over-the-counter use in the US, but a new law is on the horizon to make it a prescription item.

Answer:

My personal opinion is that you do not know what you are doing with the supplement. Rather than give higher and higher doses, I would recommend you see your physician regarding your diabetes.

[Editor's comment: See Herbs and other Supplements, at the Diabetes Monitor. WWQ]

Posted to Alternative Therapies and Explanations