Question:

From California, USA:

My 28 year old husband has always had problems in maintaining an erection. He is aware of it, but I don't think that the psychological factor is completely responsible for it, and his father has had type 1 diabetes since he was a child. Even though my husband doesn't have diabetes, could his condition be related to his father's diabetes? Is any diet you would recommend in his case?

Answer:

Difficulty with erections is not restricted to individuals with diabetes. There are many other causes, including medications, atherosclerosis, psychological factors, and hormonal causes. I would suggest your husband see his physician to further understand if any of these conditions could be causing his problems with erections.

I would not restrict the cause of the problem to diabetes when no symptoms of diabetes are present to suggest it. Still, diabetes can easily be checked for when the other considerations are investigated by his physician.

[Editor's comment: Your husband's problem cannot be caused by your father-in-law having diabetes -- unless your husband has developed diabetes (and doesn't yet have the diagnosis established). WWQ]