Question:

From O'Fallon, Missouri, USA:

We are trying to improve our daughter's control because her last hemoglobin A1c was over 9%. We switched her insulin to Lantus with NovoLog, and everything is going doing fine, but I'm really concentrating on her diet. I'm not finding a lot of information regarding the benefits of low glycemic index foods (whole wheat flour, flaxseeds, wheat germ). Am I wasting my time creating ways to incorporate these foods into her diet, or will they really benefit her?

Answer:

You are certainly not wasting your time trying to incorporate higher fiber choices into your daughter's meal plan. Higher fiber food choices, including flax seed, whole wheat flour, and wheat germ, help slow down the postprandial blood sugar rise and are beneficial for people for diabetes.

JMS

DTQ-20030728215635A