Question:

From Chattanooga, Tennessee, USA:

What's the difference between type 1 and type 2 diabetes?. What foods would you suggest they eat? How often should this person visit a doctor? This person is ashamed of this lifestyle -- please help.

Answer:

You mention that this person is ashamed of their lifestyle, but you do not mention how old this person is, or what this person is actually ashamed of. Diabetes is not something to be ashamed of, as it is not anyone's fault. It is a medical illness that can be effectively treated if the person has the appropriate level of education and medical support.

I strongly encourage this person to seek diabetes education and medical care. It is likely that the shame is a result of not understanding the causes and treatment of diabetes, and that with education, this person will feel better.

JWB

Additional comments from Craig Broadhurst:

I view shame as a feeling that comes from doing something one knows is wrong. You cannot be ashamed of something you did not choose, and having diabetes is not a choice. I suggest you call a diabetes center and see if they still have a counselor on staff.

CMB

[Editor's comment: See Diabetes Basics. SS]

DTQ-ONCDMGB2003080807