Question:

From Haleiwa, Hawaii, USA:

My nine year old daughter, recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, is on Humalog with meals and Lantus at bedtime, and I would like information that I should share with her elementary school. She gives herself Humalog insulin shots by herself now but will eventually be going on overnight field trips, and I administer the Lantus because she is afraid to do it. What are my daughter's rights? What is she entitled to?

Answer:

Your daughter is entitled to participate in all school activities including field trips, etc. The school, by law, is required to make reasonable accommodations, designate personnel to be trained in her diabetes management, and provide someone to assist in her care while in school or at school functions.

SS

Additional comments from Jeff Hitchcock, The Editor:

Please see our Diabetes at School section for a wealth of information about managing diabetes at school. Our sample 504 plans can help you prepare a 504 plan to protect your daughter's rights at school.

JSH

Posted to School and Daycare